Turkish baths for animals

Dublin: Lincoln Place

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page
See also:

Turkish baths for horses and animals

What we know so far

These baths were part of Dr Richard Barter's flagship Turkish baths in Lincoln Place. The building's façade was the first example of Islamic-style architecture in Dublin, but the Turkish Bath for Horses and Other Animals was at the rear, and had its own entrance.

The dates in the above chronology are those relating to the whole establishment. However, while we have not yet found any evidence to indicate how long the baths for animals remained open, they may possibly have done so at least until the baths changed hands in 1881.

When the Turkish baths opened, the inclusion of baths for horses and other animals prompted a critic of the building to suggest that,

Possibly we may hear by-and-by of elderly maiden ladies availing themselves of the system in restoring to convalescence their pet 'tabbies' and 'poodles to whom the chibouk and shampooing process will prove rather a novelty!


This page last modified 24 December 2017

Thank you icon

  

@JJ_Gazette for help with the exact location of the baths

@AnFearBui  for help with the exact location of the baths

The original page includes an image

Location map

Entrance gates

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in Ireland

Other Turkish baths for animals

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988