The Lincoln Place Turkish Baths in Dublin
shortly after they opened in 1860

Lincoln Place Turkish Baths, 1806s

This rare image, half of an old stereocard, shows almost the full extent of the frontage of the baths. It would have been taken within a few years of the baths opening, if not when they first opened in February 1860.

The main frontage of the building faced Lincoln Place. About 186 feet in length, it comprised three sections, that in the centre being slightly recessed and partly fronted with an entrance porch. Adjoining this, opening off the obtuse angled pavement leading to Leinster Street, was a refreshment room and the entrance to the Turkish bath for horses and other animals, which was at the rear of the main baths.

The main entrance led into a central ticket-office from which a spacious staircase led to the company board-room and other apartments on the first floor. Above this area, though only visible from the outside, was a 50ft ogee-shaped dome.

On either side of the ticket office, separate facilities were provided for male and female bathers, the men's department being on the right and the women's on the left, each being entered through its own porch after the purchase of a ticket.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Lincoln Place Turkish Baths, Dublin

Turkish Baths for Horses, Lincoln Place, Dublin

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988