Turkish baths in Ireland

3 Stephen's Green North, Dublin

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it completeŚwith images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

Sloane's Central Turkish Baths and Warm Baths

Located just round the corner from Grafton Street, these baths seem to have opened in May 1888 as a Turkish bath for ladies, advertising themselves as having 'high temperature, perfect ventilation, skilled shampooing'. They cost one shilling during the day and ninepence during the evening.

By the beginning of the following year, the baths were open to men as well as women, and they were offering a reduced price to clergyman and doctors. A few months later bathers could also obtain coffee and cake for an additional 4d.

Appropriately enough, the baths were housed in 'the bath and sponge warehouse', where Sloane's Shilling Bath Sponges could be obtained for fourteen postage stamps, and a sponge bag for eleven.

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in Ireland

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988