The Grenville Place Turkish Baths in Cork

The Greville Place Turkish Baths
< Photo: courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

The Grenville Place Turkish Baths were the first to be built by Dr Richard Barter after those at St Ann's Hydropathic Establishment at Blarney. This photograph of the baths (on the left) is from the Lawrence Collection of 40,000 glass plate negatives taken between 1870 and 1914 so it shows the building after the rebuilding which took place in 1863.

It is not known how much rebuilding was actually undertaken but if, as seems most likely, the rebuilding was only of the inside—the baths themselves—then the façade in the photograph is probably the original one.

It is interesting to note that, perhaps influenced by his architect namesake's fact-finding visit to Rome, the building sports a classical portico rather than horseshoe windows and fake minarets. Clearly to be seen at the front of the building are the separate doors which were, according to the Cork Examiner of 1 July 1859, for males (on the left) and females (on the right).

Thank you icon

Sara Smyth and Sandra McDermott at the National Library of Ireland

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Cork Turkish Baths: 8 Grenville Place

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988