Bolton Turkish Baths Company Limited [1890] You can print this page -- Click for printer-friendly version
Company baths: BOLTON: Great Moor Street (16)

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


According to a local newspaper,1 the company's prospectus stated that the subscription list would open on 14 July, and close at 10.00 am on 23 July. Subscribers would be required to pay 5/- per share on application, 5/- on allotment, and the balance in instalments to be decided. Dividends would be paid annually.

The company was 'formed to acquire or lease a plot of land' in Great Moor Street, and 'to erect and construct thereon according to the most approved modern design and principles a Turkish Bath, with the usual adjuncts and accessories thereto.'

The company intended 'to allow a substantial reduction in the price of the Baths to all holders of 25 Shares and upwards, and also to the medical profession.'


TNA: PRO: BT31 4786/31686 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1890 Memorandum of Association: 12 June
Registered Office: 8 Bowker's Row (13 June)
Capital: 3,000 divided into 3,000 shares of 1
Subscribers:
Hargreaves, John Henry (1 share) (Dir)
Houghton, Frederick George (1 share) Tobacconist
Houghton, John Richard (1 share) Tobacconist
Jackson, Charles Loxton (1 share) (Dir)
Johnston, John, MD (1 share) (Dir)
Mallett, Frederick B, MD, JP (1 share) (Dir)
Ormerod, Col J Cross, JP (1 share) Cotton spinner (Chairman)
and 34 others, holding 213 shares between them
Secretary: Frederic Sidall Marsh (29 October)
1895 Average number of shareholders: 48, holding 2,387 shares
1897 Extraordinary Meeting: Voluntary winding up (4 September)
Liquidator: Frederic Siddall Marsh


This page last updated 25 August 2017
      

Top of the page