South Cliff Scarborough Bath Company Limited You can print this page -- Click for printer-friendly version
Company baths: SCARBOROUGH: 62 Ramshill Road

As handwriting is often unclear, all name transcriptions below are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, the original documents should be consulted.
PRO (Public Record Office) documents are at The National Archives, Kew.

The company was set up in 1874, but does not seem initially, on currently available evidence, to have intended to provide Turkish baths.

TNA: PRO: BT31 14529/9391 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1874 Memorandum of Association: 2 December1
Objects include: to provide warm and cold sea water, galvanic, vapour, sulphur, alkaline, and other medicated baths, mineral waters.
Capital: 6,000 divided into 1,200 shares of 5
Hick, Thomas Edward
Newton, Edward Hotham
Wilkinson, Gilbert
Williamson, Joseph
Secretary: Smith, Arthur
Registered Office: 75 St Thomas Street, Scarborough
Architect: John Petch
Purchase: site on Ramshill Road of 657 sq yds by a frontage of 76 ft, freehold. Plans drawn up for erection of buildings to house 24 separate bathrooms. The cost of the site and the whole of the works is under 6,000
Contract: between Richard Cross, MD and John Petch on the one hand and Arthur Smith on the other.

This page last updated 04 November 2018

Top of the page