Dublin: Lincoln Place You can print this page -- Click for printer-friendly version
Turkish baths for horses and animals
1860 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
   Turkish Bath Company of Dublin Limited (Proprs)
   (Mr) Richard Barter (Architect)
   Opened 2 February
1880 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
   Turkish Bath Company of Dublin Limited (Proprs)
1880 Turkish baths
   Millar & Jury (Proprs)
1900 Turkish baths
   Baths closed
1957 Turkish Baths (building)
   Interior gutting began mid-December
   Exterior demolished early 1970s
In the above chronology, information has been taken from sources detailed in the following footnotes: 1, 2, 3, 4
See also:
 
The Lincoln Place Turkish Baths
Turkish Bath Company of Dublin Limited
Notes
Further research is needed to fill in the gaps in the history of this establishment. The current entry should, therefore, be considered
as work in progress. It was last revised on 19 Nov 2017.
What we know so far

These baths were part of Dr Richard Barter's flagship Turkish baths in Lincoln Place. The building's façade was the first example of Islamic-style architecture in Dublin, but the Turkish Bath for Horses and Other Animals was at the rear, and had its own entrance.

Entrance to horse baths      L

The dates in the above chronology are those relating to the whole establishment. However, while we have not yet found any evidence to indicate how long the baths for animals remained open, they may possibly have done so at least until the baths changed hands in 1881.

When the Turkish baths opened, the inclusion of baths for horses and other animals prompted a critic of the building to suggest that,

Possibly we may hear by-and-by of elderly maiden ladies availing themselves of the system in restoring to convalescence their pet 'tabbies' and 'poodles to whom the chibouk and shampooing process will prove rather a novelty! 5


This page last modified 11 January 2018


Thank you icon

@JJ_Gazette for help with the exact location of the baths

@AnFearBui  for help with the exact location of the baths