London: 2 Victoria Street

 Click for printer-friendly version

                                                                

Oriental Baths, including horse baths


1862 Oriental Baths, including horse baths
    Oriental Bath Company of London Limited (Proprs)
    John Haynes (Secretary)
1865 Oriental Baths, including horse baths
    Oriental Bath Company of London Limited (Proprs)
1865 Building demolished

            

Just as Dr Richard Barter had opened a flagship Turkish baths in Dublin's Lincoln Place in 1860, so—two years later—did he open a new establishment, probably intended as the first of many on the mainland, in London's Victoria Street.

For a number of reasons it was not a success and the Oriental Bath Company of London was extremely fortunate that its building stood on what had in the meantime become the most appropriate site for the building of a new London railway terminus, Victoria Station. It was bought by the District Metropolitan Railway Company1    and demolished in 1865, just three years after it opened, much to the relief of the bath company's shareholders.

The right-hand entrance of the building led to the Turkish baths for horses which, according to the Illustrated London News was 'by no means a slight feature in this important sanitary arrangement'.2
 

Top of the page