St Leonards-on-Sea: 8 West Hill

 Click for printer-friendly version

                                                                

Turkish Baths


1864

Turkish Baths

 

 

Turkish Bath Company Saint Leonard-on-Sea Limited (Proprs)

 

 

Emil Groslobb (Mgr)

 

 

Baths opened 8 August

1869

Turkish Baths

 

 

Turkish Bath Company Saint Leonard-on-Sea Limited (Proprs)

 

 

The baths  closed during 1869 when the company went into liquidation


See also:

Companies: Turkish Bath Company Saint Leonard-on-Sea Limited


 

 

 

A fire was responsible for the opening of a Turkish bath in St Leonards-on-Sea.

After the accidental burning down of Mr Groslobb's Russian Bath on the West Hill, there were many expressions of regret that St Leonards should have been thus deprived of so valuable adjunct to its health restoring characteristics.1

In order to rectify this deficiency, a company was set up to build a Turkish bath on the same site. This was designed by a London architect, Mr James Burton (father of Decimus Burton, a shareholder in the Turkish bath company), and Mr Groslobb was appointed Manager.

The design went out to tender and the builders' quotations were included in Brett's History, a multi-volume manuscript history of Hastings and St Leonards now in the Hastings Local History Library. The contract went to Mr Palmer, a local builder, whose quotation at £997, was the lowest. The overall cost including the land and the existing property was around £2,500.

A reporter, visiting the baths a few days before they opened, described what a bather would see when paying a visit2  and thereby enabled us to discover how the building was arranged.

Passing through the main entrance, the Manager's office and a Gentlemen's waiting room were on the left, while a waiting room for Ladies was on the right. The carpeted cooling-room had a row of five changing cubicles along one side, each fitted with crimson curtains and cushions, with the temperature maintained at between 80ºF and 90ºF.

The building was relatively small, and there was only one hot room (caldarium). This was heated by means of hot air passing through ducts under the floor. Three levels of bench seating, along one side of the room,  allowed bathers to experience different air temperatures. At the lowest level, this would be about 120ºF to 130ºF,  and each of the upper levels gave a rise in temperature of about 5ºF.

While not unique in a Victorian Turkish bath, this method of achieving hot areas at different temperatures is relatively unusual. The architect has adopted the arrangement common in a Russian banya, or steam bath, which was probably how Mr Groslobb's earlier Russian baths had been arranged.

A tepidarium, maintained at 100ºF, was provided for those who preferred a lower temperature, or those who wished to cool down gradually. There was a separate shampooing room, and a washing area with needle shower, douche bath, and a shower bath,

in connection with which Mr Groslobb has introduced an invention of his own, whereby the water can be instantly made hot, tepid, or cold.

While there were no separate first and second class baths, Mr Groslobb did provide a private bath for invalids (and also, presumably, for his more reserved patrons).

Patients can drive up to the door and be at once conveyed to the private dressing room, which communicates directly with the private caldarium and water rooms, without coming into contact with the public rooms.

Also hidden from public view, the boiler (and its ancillary equipment) was housed in the basement.

Interestingly, an open space was retained at the rear of the building for the intended installation, at a later date, of a swimming pool—a facility which was not added until the baths had closed, and the building had been purchased by Uplands School.

The baths seem to have been very expensive. Advertisements placed in the local papers when they opened tell us that 'Ladies only' would be admitted on Tuesdays and Fridays from 8.00 am till 4.00 pm at a charge of five shillings each. This was reduced to 2/6d from 4.00 in the afternoon till 8.00 in the evening.3

Unusually, the entrance charge was cheaper for men. They could bathe from noon till 6.00 pm for 3/6d., while there were two less expensive sessions: from 8.00 am till noon for 2/6d., and from 6 pm till 8.00 pm for only 1/6d.  But even these prices were high and there did not appear to be any reductions for purchasing several tickets at a time.

All these prices included the use of two towels and a sheet for each bather. But if this was not sufficient, additional towels were available at 1½d each and extra sheets at 3d each.

Suggesting, perhaps, that the company was unsure how much use would be made of the baths at each of the various sessions, the advertisement concluded  that,

The Company does not bind itself to keep the baths open permanently on the day or hours above specified but due notice will be given of any alteration.

Such doubts were only too well founded. The directors appear to have overestimated how many potential bathers were wealthy enough, even in St Leonards, to be able to use the baths regularly enough to support their continued existence. 

West Hill Turkish baths building after 1871  

The company went into liquidation in 1879 and the baths were closed. The building was sold to nearby Uplands School, and an indoor swimming pool built at the rear. This card was posted in 1909, but the photograph is older, and shows how the building looked  soon after it was purchased by the school in 1871.

The chimney at the back of the building (on the right of the image) is part of boiler house built to heat the water in the swimming pool. The chimney at the front is part of the original building and was built to extract the smoke from the boiler heating the air for the Turkish bath.

What is intriguing, as can be seen in the enlarged image, is that no attempt was  made to match  the appearance of  the two chimneys.

The original chimney, c.1872   Corner 'minaret' in 2006   Doorway minaret in 2006   Doorway apex in 2006
The original chimney, c.1872  

Corner 'minaret' in 2006

 

Doorway minaret in 2006

  Doorway apex in 2006

Yet the design of the Turkish bath chimney seems in a strange way to echo the minaret-type protuberances at the corners of the roof and over the doorway. While another oddity is the way in which the apex of the doorway breaks through the dentil which runs the whole length of the building.

Would the four minarets, the broken dentil, and the top of the Turkish bath chimney be enough to support a hypothesis that the original building was more saracenic in appearance with, perhaps, ogee windows and door? Would it be very far-fetched to suggest that this façade was too Islamic for the Christian Ladies College which purchased the building? That when the swimming pool was built, and the central balustrade blocked in, the shapes of the windows and door were altered to make them more Christian in appearance?

19th century photo detail:

  The empty building, 2006

19th century photo detail:
Castro collection

 

 The empty building, 2006
Photo: Shifrin

The Turkish bath building, with its boarded over swimming pool extension, is empty now (2006). Towards the end of World War II it was a temporary church, and since then has been a factory and a workshop. Both chimneys have long disappeared, the balustrades replaced with crude blocks, and the original decorative brickwork on the façade painted  white.

On 27 November 2006, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport added the baths to the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest situated in the Borough of Hastings.


Ion Castro for helpful information and permission to use his postcard image.
The staff at Hastings Local History Library (East Sussex County Council) for much help during several visits.

        
Top of the page