Dublin: 3 Stephen's Green North Printer friendly icon
Sloane's Central Turkish Baths and Warm Baths
1888 Sloane's New Turkish Baths for Ladies
   Sloane & Son (Proprs)
1889 Sloane's Central Turkish Baths and Warm Baths
   Sloane & Son (Proprs)
1896 Central Turkish Baths & Warm Baths
   Sloane & Son (Proprs)
1902 Central Turkish Baths & Warm Baths
   Sloane & Son (Proprs)
  In the above chronology, information has been taken from sources detailed in the following footnotes: 1, 2
NOTES


Research into the history of these baths is still continuing and this page includes only a preliminary account. It was last updated on
17 Feb 2011.

Located just round the corner from Grafton Street, these baths seem to have opened in May 1888 as a Turkish bath for ladies, advertising themselves as having 'high temperature, perfect ventilation, skilled shampooing'. They cost one shilling during the day and ninepence during the evening.1

By the beginning of the following year, the baths were open to men as well as women, and they were offering a reduced price to clergyman and doctors.2 A few months later bathers could also obtain coffee and cake for an additional 4d.3

Appropriately enough, the baths were housed in 'the bath and sponge warehouse', where Sloane's Shilling Bath Sponges could be obtained for fourteen postage stamps, and a sponge bag for eleven.4