Limerick: 8 Cecil Street

 Click for printer-friendly version

  Manchester     Manchester

8 Cecil Street, Limerick, in 2006

Turkish Baths


Turkish and other Baths


J F Alexander (Propr)


Baths reopened


It is not known when the baths closed





It is not known when these baths opened or closed. While the entry in a local directory shows that they were open in 1861,1 an undated clip from a local newspaper suggests that the baths were being re-opened at this time, after the completion of repairs and alterations.

The baths  were situated in part, or all, of a converted georgian townhouse The clip goes on to state that the temperatures ranged between 130F and 140F, and that the baths were fitted with an 'admirable system of ventilation'.2

During 1861 at least, the proprietor of the baths, J F Alexander, also owned the Oriental Baths at 50 Rathmines in Dublin.


Please contact us if you know of any references before or after the above dates,

or any other information about this establishment.  Many thanks.

Top of the page