London: 10a Argyll Place, Regent Street

 Click for printer-friendly version

          

Argyll Turkish Baths


1848 Medical baths
 

 

Robert James Culverwell (Propr)

1852 Argyll baths
 

 

Mrs Ann Eliza Culverwell (Propr)

1860 Argyll Baths
    Mrs Ann Eliza Culverwell (Propr)
1860 Argyll Baths
    Argyll Baths (Proprs)
1861

Argyll Turkish Baths

    Argyll Baths (Proprs)
1883

Argyll Turkish Baths

 

 

Jones & Co  (Proprs)

1885

Argyll Turkish Baths

 

 

Jones & Co  (Proprs)

 

 

Baths refurbished

1886

Argyll Turkish Baths

 

 

Jones & Co  (Proprs)

1889

Argyll Turkish Baths

 

 

Alexander Paterson (Mgr)

1902

Argyll Turkish Baths

 

 

Alexander Paterson (Mgr)

1902

Baths closed and demolished 


In 1846, Dr Robert James Culverwell, the proprietor of medical baths in New Broad Street, took a lease on the house at No.10 Argyll Place.1 Two years later he had single storey baths built in the adjoining courtyard and these became known as the Argyll Baths at No.10a.

When Dr Culverwell died in 1852, his widow, Ann Eliza Culverwell, continued running the baths for another eight or so years. She died in 18632  having sold the baths in 1860 to a company called Argyll Baths. They added Turkish baths to the establishment and renamed it The Argyll Turkish Baths.

By 1883 the baths were owned Messrs Jones & Co who also owned the New Broad Street Turkish Baths near Liverpool Street Station.3 

Two years later, in 1885, both sets of baths were refurbished.

Better baths have replaced the now obsolete forms, and the rooms have been enlarged and thoroughly ventilated, thereby removing all those drawbacks which passed muster in bygone years, but which are now no longer up to the present scientific standard.

As at New Broad Street, the baths were open from seven in the morning till nine at night and  a 'plain hot-air bath, with shower' cost 3/6d and the 'complete process' cost 4/-. Also available were perfumed vapour, Russian vapour, Vichy, and sulphur vapour baths. There were scented showers, together with ascending, descending and spinal douches. 

We canít be absolutely certain, but it seems likely that Jones and Co sold both their establishments some time between 1886 and 1889, the New Broad Street baths being purchased by James Forder and Henry Nevill, and these baths coming under the management of Alexander Paterson. 

The baths were closed in 1902, and demolished to make way for two warehouses.1
                    

©  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2017



Dawn Edmonds
, for information about the Culverwells

 

Top of the page