London: Railway Approach (London Bridge)You can print this page -- Click for printer-friendly version
Terminus Baths
1875 Terminus Baths; 19 & 20 Railway Approach
   Samuel Thomson (Propr)
1884 Terminus Baths
   Samuel Thomson (Propr)
1886 Terminus Baths
   Benjamin Bell (Propr)
1887 Electropathic and Turkish Baths; 24 Railway Approach & Denman St.
   Moses Humm (Propr)
1888 Electropathic and Turkish Baths Limited
   Moses Humm (Managing Director)
1891 Electropathic and Turkish Baths Limited
   Moses Humm (Managing Director)
   A E Humm (Sec)
1898 Electropathic and Turkish Baths Limited
   J Johnson Evans (Chairman)
1899 Electropathic and Turkish Baths Limited
   J Johnson Evans (Chairman)
1900 Turkish Baths
   Edward Tyrrell (Propr)
1905 Turkish Baths
   Edward Tyrrell (Propr)
1908 Turkish Baths
   Henry William Rance (Propr)
1910 Turkish Baths
   Henry William Rance (Propr)
1911 Turkish Baths
   William Cooper (Propr)
1916 Turkish Baths
   William Cooper (Propr)
1917 Savoy Turkish Baths
   Savoy Turkish Baths Ltd
1921 Baths closed
  In the above chronology, information has been taken from sources detailed in the following footnotes: 1
See also: Electropathic and Turkish Baths Limited
NOTES


Research into the history of these baths is still continuing and this page includes only a preliminary account. It was last updated on
28 Sep 2010.

Very little is so far known about these Turkish baths apart from the changes of ownership shown in the chronology.

According to a lease in the collection of the Southwark Local History Library, Samuel Thompson was still in residence at No.21 Railway Approach—where the rear room was a hairdressers—as late as 1898.

Ticket for coronation processionSavoy enamelled signWe also know, from a ticket for the coronation procession, that—at least by 1910—there were facilities for women who entered by a separate entrance in Denman Street at the rear of the building. And, from a life-sized enamel sign advertising the Savoy Turkish Baths some years later, we know the women's baths were probably still open until the baths closed in 1921. But we don't know whether there were facilities for women when the baths first opened.


thank you icon

  

 

 Patricia Dark, Southwark Local History Library