Aberdeen: 28˝ Crown Street You can print this page -- Click for printer-friendly version
Aberdeen Turkish Bath Establishment
1877 Aberdeen Turkish Baths
   Dr Johnstone (Propr)
   Baths opened 29 June
1878 Aberdeen Turkish Baths
   Dr Johnstone (Propr)
   It is not known when the baths closed
  

Aberdeen Turkish Bath Establishment


Very little is known about this establishment  apart from its opening date, its proprietor, and a sketchy outline of its facilities.

When the baths were opened—the first in Aberdeen—they were stated to be 'experimental' in the sense that they were installed in a temporary wooden building which had previously been a photographic studio. It was intended to replace this later with more substantial premises.1

Initially, the baths comprised a waiting room, Dr Johnstone's consulting room for those who wanted medical advice, a changing room, and a variety of baths and showers to meet bathers' requirements. These included, apart from the Turkish baths,

'a hot plunge, spray bath, wave bath, sitz bath, medicated bath, vapour bath, cold plunge, rain bath, douche bath, fountain spray, or any of the others that an epicurean hydropathist may choose to indulge in.'

The baths were open from 7.00 till 9.00, 10.00 till 2.00, and 5.00 till 9.00, and it may be that the baths were open for women bathers at the noontime session.

It is not known whether the planned permanent building was ever erected.

This page last revised 18 April 2018