Edinburgh: 90 Princes Street (ie, 38 Rose Street Lane)

 Click for printer-friendly version

                                                      

Edinburgh/Fleming's Turkish Baths


1861

Edinburgh Turkish Baths

 

 

A H Allshorn (Propr)

 

 

Dr G E Allshorn (Physician) 

1865

Edinburgh Turkish Baths

 

 

A H Allshorn (Propr)

    Baths moved to 76 South Clerk Street some time between 22 April and 12 August
     

     
1868 Edinburgh Turkish and Swimming Baths
1871 Edinburgh Turkish and Swimming Baths
 

 

A M'Donald (Mgr) 

1872

Turkish Baths

 

 

W Fisher (Mgr) 

1874

Turkish Baths

 

 

W Fisher (Mgr) 

1875 Fleming's Turkish Baths
 

 

Thomas Fleming (Propr) 

1888 Fleming's Turkish Baths
 

 

Thomas Fleming (Propr) 

 

 

Baths seriously damaged by fire at 1.00 am on 2 April

     

     
1888 The Original Turkish Baths
    Alexander Hardie (Lessee) 
    Mr White (Mgr)
    Refurbished baths reopened on 11 December
1891 Edinburgh Turkish and other Baths
 

 

Alexander Hardie (Lessee) 

1892 Princes Street Turkish Baths
 

 

William Cameron (Propr) from 17 May

1915 Princes Street Turkish Baths 
 

 

William Cameron (Propr) 

1920 Princes Street Turkish Baths 

Notes In the above chronology, the following reference supplements those footnoted in the main article which will appear in due course:  1, 2, 3

 

 

 

As befits an establishment advertised as being located in Edinburgh's Princes Street, the Turkish bath opened by A H Allshorn in 1861 appears to have been quite spacious and well laid out. In fact, the baths were at the back of the Balmoral Hotel in Rose Street Lane, being reached by a long passage from Princes Street.6
       

Cooling room with plunge pool, Princes Street, Edinburgh  cooling-room & plunge pool Hot room at Princes Street, Edinburgh
Hot room  

        
Illustrations reproduced by courtesy of
Edinburgh City Libraries & Information Services

A publicity leaflet4 headed 'First Class Turkish Bath', and issued just over one and a half years later, claims that it was built 'on the model of Jermyn Street Bath'. This must have been intended to describe the general arrangement of the bath and its facilities rather than the decorative style, which showed no obvious Turkish influence. But the first hot room had a central raised platform and several smaller ones round the outside of the room for bathers to recline on. Glass doors and a central glass screen divided it from the cooling-room with the plunge pool straddling the two rooms allowing bathers to swim underwater below the dividing screen.

Rain and douche showers, a first class swimming bath, and (by prior  arrangement) a smaller baths suite for women, were also advertised in the leaflet. The baths were open daily from 8.00 am till 9 pm, with entrance after six in the evening being reduced from 2/6d to 1/6d. No additional charge was made for shampoos. For those not using the Turkish bath, a charge of 1/- was made for the swimming bath.

A H Allshorn was a homeopathic chemist and he was assisted, initially at least, by Dr G E Allshorn (whose testimonial 'The best Baths either in London or anywhere else' is, surprisingly, included amongst others in the leaflet). Perhaps this accounts for the lack of any of the outright claims that the Turkish bath cures specific diseases which are to be found in so many other proprietors' publicity. Rather, in the manner which we are accustomed to in 21st century television ads, the leaflet claims that Turkish baths 'have been found beneficial' in cases of colds, influenza, bronchitis, rheumatism, sciatica, dyspepsia, indigestion, lumbago, gout, stomach, 'and all nervous complaints.'

  Early price list  
  Part of 3 page leaflet  

Some time between 22 April and 12 August 1865, The Edinburgh Turkish baths moved to 76 South Clerk Street. What happened to Allshorn's original baths is not yet clear, though local directories show that Turkish baths were open again on the site by 1868 and that a swimming bath had been added to the facilities.

Topr of advertising post

 

 

 

  Part of sign advertising the baths, much enlarged
  from a contemporary photograph of Princes Street

                    

By 1875 Thomas Fleming had become the owner of baths which were now known as Fleming's Turkish Baths. An advertisement for the baths under Fleming's ownership5 makes no mention of a swimming pool but only 'Plunge, Hot Water, and Shower Baths' so the initial existence of a separate swimming pool must be open to question. Allshorn may have been referring to the plunge pool as a swimming pool. Alternatively, the swimming pool may have been little used (being more expensive than the larger public baths) and been discontinued. The main change at this time was that the Turkish bath was open to women from 8.00 till 11.00 every morning, while the men's hours were from 11.00 till 9.00 at night.

At one o'clock in the morning of 2 April 1888 the baths caught fire and in spite of the Fire Brigade's valiant efforts with three separate sources of water, the fire was not extinguished for several hours.6 By this time,

the entire roof of the back portion of the premises was destroyed, while the furnishings of the bath-room proper, as well as of the smaller rooms, were also greatly damaged—smoke and water having completed the work of the flames so far as the internal fittings were concerned.7

It is thought that the fire originated in the hot room at the western end of the building and was caused by the heating apparatus. The damage was estimated at about £1,000 and although the owner of the building was insured for his share of the damage, Fleming had not insured his share as tenant.

This seems to have marked the end of Fleming's career as a Turkish baths proprietor. When the baths reopened, there was a new lessee, Alexander Hardie,  and Fleming seems also to have needed to sell the Ladies' Turkish baths which he had opened in Stafford Street barely eighteen months earlier.

The refurbished and refurnished premises reopened on 11 December 1888, being advertised simply as The Original Turkish Baths. No proprietor was named but their listing in the 1890 Macdonald's Scottish directory referred to them as the Edinburgh Turkish and Other Baths, and showed that Alexander Hardie was still the lessee.
              
Outside pages of charge card   Inner pages of charge card

The last proprietor so far identified, from around 1893 till at least 1915, was William Cameron. He had previously been the Manager of the privately owned Drumsheugh Swimming Club from its opening in 1882 until it too burnt down in 1892. Although the club was also rebuilt and speedily re-opened, Cameron must have decided that by this time he was ready to run his own Turkish bath.

It is not yet known when the baths closed. An advertisement which appeared on 27 March 1920, offering the ground floor of the building for sale, indicated that it was 'presently occupied as Turkish baths'. Since the baths occupied part a building in the most important commercial street in Edinburgh, it seems unlikely that it would have been allowed to remain empty for any length of time. Unless further evidence comes to light, then, it must be assumed that the baths remained open till 1920.
     


Jean Leith, a descendant of Alexander Hardie, for the images of the rate card
Jim Thompson,
Head of 
Central Library & Information Services and 
Andrew Bethune
, Librarian
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection
Celal Erdogdu for his photo of the advertising post, taken at Edinburgh's Camera Obscura

Tony Millar for permission to copy the Camera Obscura and World of Illusions image


Top of the page