Glasgow: Bath Street

 Click for printer-friendly version

                                                      

Cockburn Turkish Baths


1881

Cockburn Turkish Baths (135 Bath St)

 

 

Andrew Philp (Propr) 

 

 

Opened during May

1882

Cockburn Turkish Baths (135 Bath St)

 

 

Andrew Philp (Propr) 

1886 Cockburn Turkish Baths (135-139 Bath St)
 

 

James Philp (Propr) 

1887 Philp's Cockburn Hotel and Turkish Baths (141 Bath St)
 

 

James Philp (Propr) 

1888 Cockburn Turkish Baths 
 

 

James Philp (Propr) 

1896 Turkish Baths and Cockburn Hotel
 

 

Mrs A D Philp (Propr) 

1903 Turkish Baths and Cockburn Hotel
 

 

Mrs A D Philp (Propr) 


Notes

In the above chronology, the following references supplement those footnoted in the main article which will appear in due course 1,  2, 3


               

Royalty Theatre programme advertisement


Advertisement for the baths appearing round all four edges

of the cover of a Royalty Theatre programme, 14 November 1892


                  
The Cockburn Hotel, adjoining the Turkish baths, was one of a number of hotels owned by the Philp family. They comprised: the Cockburn Hotel (above) which was a favourite with visiting Americans; Phip's Cockburn House at 9 Endsleigh Gardens, London; Philp's Cockburn House at 6 Montague Place, London; The Waverley Bridge Hotel, Edinburgh ('No spiritous liquors'). In fact all these were 'High Class Temperance Houses'. The family also owned Philp's Dunblane Hydro.


Top of the page