Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for April 2005

The last Turkish baths to be built by Dr Barter
at his Hydropathic Establishment
at St Ann's Hill, near Blarney, Co Cork

Dr Barter's last Turkish baths at St Ann's Hill, Blarney

This detail from a contemporary stereo card (see below) shows the exterior of the last of several Turkish baths to be built at St Ann's Hydropathic Establishment by Dr Richard Barter to the designs of his architect namesake (Mr Richard Barter). The baths were opened on Wednesday 13 July 1870, less than three months before the doctor died.

The Irish Builder of 15 July 1870 wrote:

The new building is situate upon a terrace below the main building, and for style of architecture and beauty excels anything of the kind ever seen in this country. The baths occupy a space of 180 feet by 36 feet, and consist of two complete sets, one for ladies, and the other for gentlemen. The structure is divided transversely, a cupola surmounting the building upon the outside, at the point of division.
Stereocard of the Turkish baths


The unequal sizes of the trimmed photographs on the stereo card, and the glued-on label on the back, seem to indicate that this was an unpublished card produced, perhaps in limited numbers, by a local photographer, or even an amateur.



This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988