Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for September 2006

Ben Rhydding Hydropathic Establishment:
the Roman baths, c.1861

Turkish baths at Ben-Rhydding Hydropathic Establishment

Ben Rhydding was opened on 29 May 1844 by Hamer Stansfield, a former Mayor of Leeds. He had visited, and been impressed by, Graeffenberg Spa and built his own in Ilkley at a cost of 30,000.

The Turkish baths, or Roman baths as they were more correctly called, cost a further 2,000 and were built at the establishment some time around 1859, only three years or so after the first Turkish baths were built at St. Ann's by Dr Barter.

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988