Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for November 2007

Advertisement in a local directory for
Dr Wood's Turkish, Russian, Roman, and Electric Baths

Directory advertisement
< Image: Brooklyn & New York Street Directory, 1882-1883

This full page advertisement is one of several in a local street directory which was 'published for presentation to the friends and patrons of his Turkish, Russian and Electric Baths…by A L Wood, MD, Proprietor.' In addition to these ads, each left hand page has header and footer ads for the baths and, in the left land margin, a quotation in praise of Turkish baths. The directory does not appear in the catalogues of the Library of Congress, New York City Library, Brooklyn Public Library, or the British Library.

The baths were opened on 17 April 1880 and became a competitive alternative to the first Victorian Turkish Bath to open in the United States, that run by Dr Shepard at 63 Columbia Street, Brooklyn.

Although the Clinton Street baths were owned by the Brooklyn Turkish Bath Company, Dr Wood was named as President. Dr Wood, with Dr Eli P Miller, had opened the first Turkish bath in Manhattan in 1865.

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988