Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for July 2008

The Savoy Turkish Baths:
12 York Street and 92 Jermyn Street

Advertisement for the Savoy Baths
< Advertisement reproduced from: Winning post summer annual, 1908

This advertisement was published shortly after the baths opened in 1908. These baths are often confused with the earlier ones built by David Urquhart's London & Provincial Turkish Baths Co Ltd and opened at No.76 Jermyn Street in 1862. The Savoy baths were designed to cater for a less exclusive clientele.

Ernest Henry Adams opened the York House Hydro some time around 1908. Two years later he opened Turkish baths round the corner at 92 Jermyn Street. The two premises were joined at the back and the (Duke of) York Street baths were turned into Ladies' Turkish Baths.

The men's baths in Jermyn Street were open all night, and soon became popular with the gay community. An article will appear on these baths at a later date.

 

Entry revised and slightly enlarged, 11 March 2010

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988