Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for July 2010

Grand Hotel Buildings, Eastbourne:
encaustic floor tiles

Eastbourne floor tiles
< Photo: Chris Moore

The Turkish Baths at the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne were the last to be run under the name of Charles Bartholomew although they were actually owned by the hotel. They opened in 1888, a year before he died, and continued to run under his name until 1897.

The baths finally closed around 1933, and at some stage the entrance leading directly off the hotel lobby was bricked up and the Baths' reception area became a shop with its own entrance.

The photograph of the tiled floor dates from the early 1990s and was taken specially for this project by Chris Moore who was conducted round the basement by a kindly shopkeeper and shown what remained of the baths. The remnants, which included the bricked- up boiler, a number of bare rooms, and further floor tiles, are no longer in existence and nothing remains to be seen.

Thank you icon

Chris Moore for her photograph

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988