Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for September 2010

Columbus, Ohio: East Broad Street:
U E Whiteis Turkish and Electric Baths:
advertising blotter, c.1910

Advertising blotter

This illustrated advertisement is litho printed on one side of the blotter which measures 9x23cm. Printed by Hayes Litho, a company which flourished during the early decades of the twentieth century, the design is one of a series in which one half of the card is left blank for the ad to be overprinted.

The men's baths are listed in the 1912 Year book of the Seventh-day Adventist Denomination, but nothing is so far known about them apart from the information appearing on the blotter. The clientele was considered large enough to support separate facilities for men and women, at least for some of the time the baths were open, and massages could be given at a client's home. It seems probable that the bath proprietor was Jewish as the establishment was closed from Friday evening till Saturday evening, rather than as, more usually, on Sundays.



This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988