Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for September 2011

Rockside Hydropathic Establishment:
cooling-room and plunge pool

Rockside Hydro cooling-room
< Source of postcard image and publication date are currently unknown

The large curtain at the rear of the room leads to the hot rooms. The smaller curtains enclose the changing cubicles which, judging by their size, probably included couches for relaxation after the bath. On the wall between the cubicles and the plunge pool can be seen a drinking fountain.

Rockside Hydro was built in 1862 by Charles Rowland. It continued as a hydro until the beginning of the 1914-18 war when it was requisitioned for use as a convalescent hospital for wounded RAF officers. Between the wars the hydro re-opened as a hotel. It was again requisitioned during the second world war when it was again used by the RAF. Part of the building still stands and has been converted into a set of self-catering luxury apartments.

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988