Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for August 2012

Paris: Lido des Champs Elysées
Turkish baths: cooling-room

Lido lounge

The Lido des Champs Elysées opened on 18 February 1928 as a combination swimming pool, Turkish baths, cabaret and restaurant. Lavishly furnished in the extravagant style of the jazz age, it had a relatively short life in this incarnation. It may have closed during the war, or it may have remained open during the occupation. But in 1946 it was taken over by new proprietors who completely refurbished it as a restaurant and cabaret which remains open to the present time. The Turkish baths are no longer in existence.


This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988