Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for November 2012

Wausau, Wisconsin: Hotel Bellis

Hotel Bellis
< Image from a contemporary postcard

George Bellis built the hotel he named after himself in 1881. The sign on the corner, which appears on a card posted at the beginning of 1908, advertises the hotel's Turkish, Russian, and shower baths. Also on offer is a 'vibro massage'.

Nothing else is currently known about the baths except that the hotel was probably demolished in the early 1920s to make room for the new Hotel Wausau which opened in 1924. Any further information about the baths would be gratefully received.

This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988