Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for March 2013

Turkish baths banner outside Prahran Arcade, 1891
Stonnington City: Melbourne: Australia

Turkish baths banner
< Photo: courtesy Stonnington History Centre

Nothing is known about these Turkish baths at present, except that they opened in 1890 when the Prahran Arcade itself opened. They also included hot and cold slipper baths.

The arcade, which is now a heritage listed building, was designed by local architect George McMullen and built by James McMullen. In addition to the baths, its three floors included about 30 shops, a hotel, billiard rooms, a bakery, and a restaurant.

Thank you icon

David Tuck Team Leader, Stonnington History Centre

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988