Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for June 2013

Turkish Electric and Roman Baths:
shampooing rooms and plunge pool:
41 West 26th Street, New York, NY

Plunge pool
< 'Royal Order of Turks' What for? (Apr 1891)

One of a series of images showing the various rooms in the Turkish baths adjoining Miller's Hotel in New York. By 1891, the baths and hotel were owned by Charles H Haynes who produced this first number of what he called a quarterly magazine. Whether there were any further issues is not known.

Apart from the best part of eight pages on the baths, there are a couple of pages about the hotel, including the restaurant's menu, some ads for other local services, and a variety of space fillers.

This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988