Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for Aug & Sept 2014

Oriental Turkish Baths, 1104 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pa:
flyer for the baths, with 'ditties' on the back

Card

This flyer advertised the Oriental Turkish baths at 1104 Walnut Street, which originally opened in 1891 as the Turkish and Russian Baths.

The building was designed by the architect, Wilson Eyre, and with its keyhole windows and chequered façade, the baths gave a whole new look to the street. The baths closed in the mid 1920s and the Forrest Theatre was built on the site in 1927.

Card reverse

The reverse of the flyer, presumably dating from the later years in the baths' existence, curiously comprised four ditties bearing absolutely no relevance to the baths at all.



This flyer is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988