Victorian Turkish Baths Picture of the Month for July 2015

The Victoria Baths
The Promenade, Southport

Turkish baths cooling-room
< The Turkish baths cooling-room, c.1910

The Turkish baths cooling-room was lined with changing cubicles down one side, each with a couch for relaxing after the bath. Opposite were easy chairs and occasional tables, probably indicating that light refreshments were available.

< The exterior of the baths, c.1871

Southport's new Victoria Baths were situated right on the Promenade and were opened in 1871 on the site of the original baths with the same name. The building was designed by architects Horton & Bridgford of Manchester.

In addition to the Turkish baths, there were first and second class swimming pools, slipper baths, and showers, separate sets of each being provided for men and women. There was also a gymnasium for men.

< Mosaic sign advertising the baths

Within at least some, if not all, of the arches on the promenade side of the baths, were mosaic advertisements for the baths.

Close-up of part of the mosaic sign
< Part of one of the advertising panels

A close-up of the part of one of these panels shows the clarity of the mosaic lettering.

The baths were originally built for the Southport Baths and Assembly Room Company Limited, but changed hands twice before being leased by Southport Corporation in 1910, and purchased by them in 1919.

The Turkish baths closed in 1978. The building is Grade II Listed and has been used since for a variety of purposes.


For readers of the book
Top of the page

Pictures of the month archive

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988