The cooling-room at Glossop Road, Sheffield

Sheffield's Glossop Road cooing room
< Photo: courtesy of Sheffield City Council

The baths were opened with separate cooling-rooms for smokers and non-smokers in November 1877 and remained in operation until they were closed, despite many protests from users, in 1990.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Glossop Road Turkish Baths

The Victorian Turkish Bath Movement. Part 1: introduction

Urquhart and the London Hammam. Part 3: the class barrier

Top of the page


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2022