Charles Bartholomew's Bristol Establishment

Bartholomew's Turkish Baths in Bristol

This was the largest of Bartholomew's establishments, opened in 1859, and was to become the headquarters of his chain. The baths survived until at least 1955.

The building was originally designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the reign of William IV. It was built for passengers arriving from America in the famous 'Great Western' steamship, and coaches were provided for the journey to London.

The baths were demolished in 1982 although the fašade was retained for the new office block now known as Brunel House and providing accommodation for the Bristol City Council's Engineering, Planning, and Environmental Health Departments.



This postcard is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Urquhart and the London Hammam. Part 1: introduction

Bartholomew's Turkish Baths: George Street: Bath

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988