Laight Street, New York

Two rooms at the Laight Street Turkish baths, 1867
< The Eastern or Turkish bath: with its history, revival in England, and application to the purposes of health / Erasmus Wilson. New York : Miller, Wood, 1867.

The sudatorium and tepidarium in Dr Miller's Turkish baths at 13 Laight Street, Manhattan, New York, in 1867.

This establishment, the first in Manhattan, was opened by Drs Miller, Wood & Co. The bath was still in existence in 1881, but by then it was owned by a Dr M L Holbrook, and known as the Hygienic Hotel and Turkish Bath Institute.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The first Turkish baths in the USA. Part 2: Manhattan

The first Turkish baths in the USA

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988