The Hotel Victoria, Quebec City, Canada, in the late 1890s

Hotel Victoria, Quebec, Canada
< Image © Hotel Manoir Victoria

Benjamin Trudel bought the Stadacona Hotel in 1895, refurbished it, and renamed it Hotel Victoria.

In 1897, he constructed a Turkish baths and pool establishment. A bridge forty foot long was built at first floor level to connect the two buildings allowing hotel guests to visit the Turkish baths without having to leave the building.

Unfortunately, the construction of the bridge had been undertaken without planning permission. Angry local merchants lodged complaints against the new structure and finally forced the demolition of the bridge in spite of Trudel taking his case to the Supreme Court.

The baths did not survive for long. When the hotel was completely destroyed by fire in 1902, the hotel was rebuilt on the site of the old Turkish baths by the new owner, Trudel's nephew, Aurčle Resther.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Urquhart and the London Hammam. Part 1: introduction

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988