Dr Barter's short-lived London establishment

Barter's London establishment in Victoria Street
< Image: Illustrated London News (21 June 1862)

Dr Barter's only venture in England, the Oriental Baths at 2, Victoria Street, London, opened early in 1862. Its magnificent building was constructed by the Oriental Bath Company of London Ltd, under Dr Richard Barter's guidance, at a cost of around 28,000. The baths never lived up to expectations, however, being considered to be in the wrong part of London. The company was, perhaps, fortunate that the site was bought by the Metropolitan Railway Company, for its new Victoria Station. The Bath was in consequence razed to ground only three years later in 1865.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

London's first Victorian Turkish bath. Part 3: The first in London

Roman bath or Turkish bath?

The Roman Baths, Cambridge. Part 1: Prelude

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988