< Leaflet: Shepard, Charles H Turkish baths: No. 63 Columbia Street, Brooklyn Heights, NY (New York: the baths, )
Charles Shepard opened the first Turkish bath in the United States in this building on 3 or 6 October 1863.
Originally the baths only occupied No. 63, Columbia Street (on the left of the building), but in 1867 a new Men's bath was opened next door at No. 65, while the original baths at No. 63 were converted for use by women.
This item is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project