Outside the first Turkish bath in the USA,
shown here in 1913

65 Columbia Street (later 81 & 83 Columbia Heights) Brooklyn
< Photo © Brooklyn Public Library. Brooklyn Collection (Permission to reproduce has been applied for)

Charles Shepard opened the first Turkish bath in the United States in this building on 3 or 6 October 1863. The photograph was taken in 1913.

Originally the baths only occupied No. 63, Columbia Street (on the left of the building), but in 1867 a new Men's bath was opened next door at No. 65, while the original baths at No. 63 were converted for use by women.

At some later date (before this photograph was taken) the road was renamed Columbia Heights and the building became nos. 81 & 83.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The first Turkish baths in the USA. Part 1: Brooklyn Heights

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988