The first Turkish bath in Manhattan, New York:
letterhead in use some 15 years after opening

Letterhead showing the Hygienic Hotel and Turkish Bath Institute, c.1880

Letterhead of the Dr M L Holbrook's Hygienic Hotel and Turkish Bath Institute at 13 & 15 Laight Street, Manhattan, New York.

The bath was originally opened in 1865 by the Drs Miller, Wood & Co. It was the first in Manhattan, following the success of Dr Charles Shepard's Turkish baths in Brooklyn, which opened a couple of years earlier. The latter were the first Victorian Turkish baths in the USA.

Thank you icon

Diane DeBlois and Robert Harris for the photocopy of the letterheading

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The first Turkish baths in the USA. Part 2: Manhattan

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988