The Brighton Hammam lived on as a cinema

The Brighton Hammam lived on as a cinema
< Photo courtesy Brighton History Centre: Photographer unknown

The Academy Picture House, formerly the Brighton Hammam which closed around 1910. The Hammam was opened by the Brighton Turkish Bath Co Ltd at 59 West Street, in 1868.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Brighton Hammam

Performance in the raw. Part 5: the shampooing ritual

Women and the Victorian Turkish bath. Part 3: Women and the first baths

Heritaging the Victorian Turkish bath. Part 4: Styling the bath

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988