Bradford Turkish Baths Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


Bradford Turkish Baths Company Limited
Company baths: BRADFORD: Sun Bridge Road

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


There was some interest in setting up a Turkish bath company in Bradford at least as early as 1885. A Mr R M Macmaster wrote a letter to the editor of a swimming magazine seeking support for a limited company to provide swimming and Turkish baths in the town. But it seems that another eight years were to pass before such a company was actually set up.


TNA: PRO: BT31 5483/37950

1893 Memorandum of Association: 11 January
Objects include: to be proprietors of Turkish and other Baths and to carry out,

'an agreement dated 22nd day of December, 1892, and made between Charles Gott of the one part and Frederick Bearland, on behalf of the Company herein mentioned, of the other part (being an agreement for a lease of a portion of the basement of the Alexandra Hotel, Bradford, with power to adapt the same for the purposes of Turkish and other Baths).'

Subscribers:
Armitage, George (Dir) (Stuff merchant)
Bearman, Frederick (Agent)
Hoffman, Alfred (Merchant)
Hoffman, Frank (Dir) (Merchant)
Ibbotson, Thomas (Dir) (Lithographer)
Lupton, William C (Dir) (Wine merchant)
Milnes, Edward (Stuff merchant)
and three other directors
Capital: 3,000 divided into 600 shares of 5
Registered Office: Ivegate Chambers (13 May)
Secretary: Frederick Bearland (29 May)
Average number of shareholders: 12 with one share each

1895 Registered Office: Beckett's Bank Chambers (13 May)

1897 Shareholders include:
Craig, Thomas (40 shares)
Wood, John (40 shares)

1898 Extraordinary Meeting to agree winding up and appoint liquidator (18 March)

1901 Winding up meeting (14 October)

1902 Lodged (15 July)


This page last updated 25 August 2017
      

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988