Llandudno Turkish & General Baths Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


Llandudno Turkish & General Baths Company Limited
Company baths: LLANDUDNO: Ty Gwyn Road

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


TNA: PRO: BT31 955/1295c

1864 Memorandum of Association: 21 May
Objects include: construction and working 'of Hot air baths commonly called Turkish Baths, vapour baths, hot water baths and cold water baths.'
Capital: 1,000 divided into 250 shares of 4
Subscribers:
Chapman, William Floyd (5 shares) Gentleman
Hollick, Thomas (6 shares) Gentleman
Nicol, James, MD (6 shares)
Roberts, Edward (Rev) (6 shares) Clerk in Holy Orders
Williams, John (5 shares) Land and estate agent
Williams, Thomas (6 shares) Chemist
Secretary: John Williams
Registered Office: Ty Gwyn Road (26 May)

1865 Shareholders include:
Chapman, William Floyd (5 shares) Gentleman
Evans, Joseph (6 shares) Coal proprietor
Felton, Luigi (George)(5 shares) Architect
Ford, Henry (5 shares) Solicitor (of Chester)
Hollick, Thomas (6 shares) Gentleman
Moore, Edward (5 shares) Merchant
Nicol, James, MD (6 shares)
Roberts, Edward (Rev) (6 shares) Clerk in Holy Orders
Whitehead, Susanah (5 shares)
Williams, John (5 shares) Land and estate agent
Williams, Thomas (6 shares) Chemist
There was a proposal on 19 December that the company should be voluntarily wound up and that John Williams should be the liquidator. According to Ivor Jones, the Turkish bath closed within four years, becoming a Roman Catholic place of worship, so Williams, as liquidator, must have closed the baths some time during 1867.
Since the company appears to have still been in existence until at least 1873, it seems likey that it was renting their premises to the church, rather than selling them outright.

1866 Shareholders include:
Chapman, William Floyd (5 shares) Gentleman
Evans, Joseph (6 shares) Coal proprietor
Felton, Luigi (George) (5 shares) Architect
Ford, Henry (5 shares) Solicitor (of Chester)
Hollick, Thomas (6 shares) Gentleman
Moore, Edward (5 shares) Merchant
Nicol, James, MD (6 shares)
Roberts, Edward (Rev) (6 shares) Clerk in Holy Orders
Whitehead, Susanah (5 shares)
Williams, John (5 shares) Land and estate agent
Williams, Thomas (6 shares) Chemist
Secretary: John Williams

1867 Shareholders: as in 1866

1868 Shareholders: as in 1866

1869 Shareholders: as in 1866

1870Shareholders: as in 1866, but John Williams signs form 'Late Secretary'

1871 Shareholders: as in 1870

1872 Shareholders: as in 1870

1873Shareholders: as in 1870

1882 No returns were filed between the years 1874 and 1878
Dissolved under Clause 7(4): 6 October


This page last updated 25 August 2017

The original page includes one or more footnotes.

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988