Middlesbrough Swimming & Turkish Baths Co Ltd

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


Middlesbrough Swimming & Turkish Baths Co Ltd
Company baths: MIDDLESBROUGH: 52 Grange Road East

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


In September 1881,

A private meeting of the supporters of the scheme for converting the premises in Grange-road, at present occupied by Mr Robertson as Turkish baths, was held at the office of Mr J R Stubbs, on Monday afternoon. The scheme embraces the construction of a swimming bath 54ft x 22ft and is meant to supply the universally acknowledged want of such a convenience in the town. The meeting unanimously agreed to support the scheme, and a limited company, with a capital of £2,500, divided into 500 shares of £5 each, will at once be registered to carry the scheme into effect.

Although a local newspaper reported that,the company was given a registration number, nothing further seems to have happened. The following year Mr Robertson sold the baths to John Holman and they remained under private ownership.


TNA: PRO: BT31 2904/16153


This page last updated 25 August 2017

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988