The Savoy Turkish Baths Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


The Savoy Turkish Baths Company Limited
Company baths: LONDON: Savoy Hill

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


An article on the Savoy Turkish Baths, Savoy Hill, London will appear in due course.

The establishment stayed open until at least 1921, by which time it was part of a small chain, eventually to become part of Nevill's.

Situated in the middle of theatreland and right next to the Savoy, it is interesting to note that George Grossmith, François Cellier, and Rutland Barrington (all involved in the Gilbert and Sullivan operas at the Savoy), Samuel French (leading publisher of plays), George Edwardes and Michael Gunn (managers of theatres in the vicinity), and Charles Phipps (architect of the baths and recognised authority on theatre construction) were all shareholders, most of whom remained investors until the company was dissolved. It seems safe to surmise that they, in common with many lesser name s in the theatre world, were also regular patrons.

The Savoy was the first theatre in London to be lit by electricity, and the Savoy Turkish baths were, likewise, the first in London to be so lit.


TNA: PRO: BT31 3253/19102 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1883 Company registered: 30 November
Objects of the company included:
'to acquire the lease of the whole or of any part of the basement of Lancaster House, Savoy Street'
Secretary: Edward Charles Bainbridge
Capital: £15,000 divided into 7,500 shares of £2
Subscribers:
Bainbridge, Edward Charles (1 share)
Bainbridge, George Frederick (1 share) Gentleman (Dir)
Bruce, Robert (1 share) Retired Major (Dir)
Clement-Smith, C N (1 share) Art publisher (Dir)
Gunn, Michael (1 share) Theatre manager (Dir)
Helby, James Thomas (1 share) Gentleman (Dir)
Pike, Charles William (1 share)
Thompson, James Coulthred (1 share) Gentleman (Dir)

1884 Registered Office: Lancaster Mansions (formerly Lancaster House, Savoy Street), Savoy Hill, Strand.
Secretary: W S Austin

1885 Shareholders included:
Bealby, Richard Cowper (10 shares) Collector
Cellier, François Arsène (5 shares) Musical Director
Edwardes, George Joseph (100 shares) Acting Manager
French, Samuel (50 shares) Publisher [of plays]
Garland, Thomas Henry (10 shares) Mgr Lancaster House
Grossmith, George (10 shares) Actor
Gunn, Michael (108 shares) Theatre Manager
Moore, C Harrington (100 shares) Solicitor
Phipps, Charles John (50 shares) Architect
Romano, Alphonse (12 shares) Restaurant keeper (399 Strand)
Shield, George (50 shares) Proprietor of Lord Palmerston Hotel
Williang, James, Jnr (25 shares) Advertising contractor
and 41 others holding 1,950 shares between them

1889 Shareholders by now also included:
Barrington, Rutland (10 shares) Actor

1891 Shareholders still included:
Barrington, Rutland (10 shares) Actor
Cellier, François Arsène (5 shares)
Edwardes, George Joseph (100 shares) (Mgr. of Gaity Theatre)
Grossmith, George (10 shares)
Gunn, Michael (108 shares)
Moore, C Harrington (100 shares)
Phipps, Charles John (50 shares)
Romano, Alphonse (12 shares)
No returns were filed after 1891, when the Turkish Baths were sold to Edmund Tyrrell

1892 '...on or about 26th April 1892 a receiving order was made against this company by Mr Justice Chitty,' after which the company ceased trading. Receiver: Richard Chadwick.
Judgement made on 17 December 1892 'giving the Debenture holders power to apply for a Sale of the property for the repayment of these principal money and interest.'

1894 Dissolved under Clause 7(4): 22 June


This page last updated 25 August 2017

The original page includes one or more enlargable thumbnail images.
Any enlarged image, listed and linked below, can also be printed.

Advertisement in theatre programme, 1886

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988