South Cliff Scarborough Bath Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


South Cliff Scarborough Bath Company Limited
Company baths: SCARBOROUGH: 62 Ramshill Road

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


The company was set up in 1874, but does not seem initially, on currently available evidence, to have intended to provide Turkish baths.


TNA: PRO: BT31 14529/9391 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1874 Memorandum of Association: 2 December
Objects include: to provide warm and cold sea water, galvanic, vapour, sulphur, alkaline, and other medicated baths, mineral waters.
Capital: 6,000 divided into 1,200 shares of 5
Directors:
Hick, Thomas Edward
Newton, Edward Hotham
Wilkinson, Gilbert
Williamson, Joseph
Secretary: Smith, Arthur
Registered Office: 75 St Thomas Street, Scarborough
Architect: John Petch
Purchase: site on Ramshill Road of 657 sq yds by a frontage of 76 ft, freehold. Plans drawn up for erection of buildings to house 24 separate bathrooms. The cost of the site and the whole of the works is under 6,000
Contract: between Richard Cross, MD and John Petch on the one hand and Arthur Smith on the other.


This page last updated 25 August 2017

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988