Sheffield Bath Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


Sheffield Bath Company Limited
Company baths: SHEFFIELD: Glossop Road

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


TNA: PRO: BT31 2204/10361 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1876 Memorandum of Association: 24 February
Objects include:
a. 'The purchasing for 2,500 the Bath Saloon Baths & Machinery thereon, and the Engineer's Drill Shed, situate in Victoria Street and Convent Walk, having a frontage to Victoria Street of 176 feet 6 inches, and to Convent Walk of 218 feet 4 inches, and containing in the whole, 1,620 square yards, or thereabouts, held under lease for 800 years from Michaelmas, 1835, at the apportioned yearly ground rent of 26.3.0. ...'
b. 'The erecting of...New Turkish, Swimming and other Baths...'
Capital: 15,000 divided into 600 shares of 25
Subscribers:
Bennett, Alfred (1 shares) Manager
Fretson, Frederick John (2 shares) Solicitor
Gibbs, Edward Mitchel (15 shares) Architect
Moore, Edward Thomas (2 shares) Solicitor
Pearson, William Henry (2 shares) Brewer
Watson, Arnold Thomas (4 shares) Broker
Watson, William Henry (4 shares) Broker
Directors:
Hall, Marriott
Richards, William
Vickers, Thomas Edward
Wightman, Arthur
Registered Office: 6, George Street (26 Feb)
Secretary: T G Shuttleworth (19 Jul)
Average number of shareholders: 135 holding 539 shares

1881 Average number of shareholders: 137 holding 600 shares (8 Jul)

1885 Registered Office: (Queens) Insurance Bldgs, Church St (26 Sep)

1886 Average number of shareholders: 134 holding 598 shares (8 Sep)

1887 Sale: Company baths business to William Richards. The property was either taken by him as mortgagee, or bought by him from the mortgagee. [Deduced from letter to Registrar of Companies dated 28 February 1891]

1889 Average number of shareholders: 133 holding 598 shares (6 Aug)

1891 No returns were filed after 1886
Dissolved under Clause 7(4): 17 January


This page last updated 25 August 2017

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988