Turkish Bath Company, Saint Leonard's-on-Sea Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list


Turkish Bath Company, Saint Leonard's-on-Sea Limited
Company baths: ST LEONARDS-ON-SEA: 8 West Hill

Please note: As handwriting is often unclear, names of shareholders are indicative only.
When accuracy is important, researchers should consult the original documents.
PRO references will be found at The National Archives (Public Record Office, Kew)


The company was set up in 1863 as the result of the destruction of a Russian bath on West Hill. We know about the fire, the setting up of the company, and the tenders received by the Directors for building their new Turkish bath from 'Brett's History', a multi-volume manuscript work to be found in the Hastings Local History Library.

Whether Brett was misinformed, or whether he was writing pour encourager les autres, his suggestion that a considerable number of shares were at once taken up is probably an exaggeration; it seems likely that barely one quarter of the shares had been subscribed. This would have given the company a capital of 750 leaving an estimated 1750 to borrow. Thus, the repayments and interest to be earned from the use of the baths would certainly have contributed to the company's early demise.


TNA: PRO: BT31 41610/47278 All unfootnoted information is taken from this file.

1863 Memorandum of Association: 8 December
Objects include: purchase, building, setting up Turkish Baths
Capital: 3,000 divided into 120 shares of 25
Subscribers:
Burton, Decimus (4 shares) Architect
Dorman, James (2 shares) Librarian
Garsden, Charles Henry (2 shares) House agent
Maggs, Samuel Blount (2 shares) Chemist
Thomas, Horace (2 shares) Chemist
and 7 others

1866 Registered Office: 48 Marina
Average number of shareholders: 27

1869 Extraordinary Meeting: Voluntary Winding up (3 November)
Liquidator: George Voysey


This page last updated 25 August 2017


thank you icon

The staff at Hastings Local History Library (East Sussex County Council), for

much help during several visits, and permission to reproduce part of Brett's

History.

The original page includes one or more footnotes,
and thumbnail images which can be enlarged.
Any enlarged image, listed and linked below, can also be printed.

Excerpt from Thomas Brandon Brett's History

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988