Manchester & Salford Baths & Laundries Limited:
Greengate Street Baths, Salford: company plaque

Plaque closeup
< Photo: Mike Young

The company was set up in 1855 and built its first swimming baths at Greengate Street in Salford almost immediately. Part of the building was demolished in the 20th century to make way for Trinity Way, but part remains standing.

A plaque on the wall reads: 

MANCHESTER & SALFORD BATHS &
LAUNDRIES COMPANY INCORPORATED
ANNO DOMINI MDCCCLV

It seems reasonably certain that similar plaques were set into walls in all their baths. Those in Stretford Road and London Road (Mayfield) were both built in 1857 and had Turkish baths added in 1860 and 1861 respectively.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Manchester & Salford Baths & Laundries

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988