Oriental Baths, including horse baths
as Dr Richard Barter had opened a flagship Turkish baths in
Dublin's Lincoln Place in 1860, so—two years later—did he
open a new establishment, probably intended as the first of many
on the mainland, in London's Victoria Street.
a number of reasons it was not a success and the Oriental Bath
Company of London was extremely fortunate that its building
stood on what had in the meantime become the most appropriate
site for the building of a new London railway terminus, Victoria
Station. It was bought by the District Metropolitan Railway Company
and demolished in 1865, just three years after it opened, much
to the relief of the bath company's shareholders.
The right-hand entrance of the building
led to the Turkish baths for horses which, according to the Illustrated
London News was 'by no means a slight feature in this important sanitary
Top of the page