Dublin: Lincoln Place Turkish baths for animals:
location map and entrance gates

< Entrance gates to the original horse baths, c.1960s

The new Dublin baths, opened on 2 February 1860, were in Lincoln Place. The main frontage, only partly seen in the photograph, was about 186 ft (56.7m) wide, and comprised three sections, the central one slightly recessed and with an entrance porch. Adjoining this, opening off the obtuse angled pavement leading to Leinster Street, was a refreshment room and the entrance to the Turkish bath for horses and other animals, which was at the rear of the main baths

The tall building, was planned as refreshment rooms, but almost immediately became a café and then, between 1861 and 1870, the Café de Paris, before being enlarged and finally becoming Barrett's Family Hotel. To the right was the entrance to the Turkish bath for horses which was behind the main baths.

Thank you icon

  

@JJ_Gazette for help with the exact location of the baths

@AnFearBui  for help with the exact location of the baths

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Turkish Bath for Horses, Lincoln Place, Dublin

The Lincoln Place Turkish Baths, Dublin

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988