Clement Stephenson

Dr Clement Stephenson
< Image courtesy of Newcastle University

This portrait of Clement Stephenson was commissioned from local artist John Charlton in 1816, two years before the subject's death.

In 1860, Stephenson was a young newly qualified vet at his father's practice in Scotch Arms Yard (off Newcastle's Bigg Market), when he built a Turkish bath for horses, probably the first in England to open for public use.

He became one of the country's first local authority Veterinary Inspectors, helped gain real expertise in the control of animal disease, and was an innovative breeder of Aberdeen Angus Cattle.

He was made an honorary Doctor of Science by Durham University and, at his death, donated 10,000 to establish a chair there in comparative pathology and bacteriology, and to pay half the costs of setting up a research department in Newcastle. The latter later became Newcastle University School of Agriculture whose main lecture theatre is named after him.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Newcastle Turkish Bath for Horses

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988