TheCity of Bath: the great flood of 1882

The Bath flood of 1882
< Image: Bath Central Library

This image from Forgotten year: news from Bath in 1882 by Bruce Crofts (Bath City Council, 1982) shows Southgate Street from the Old Bridge on 25 October 1882.

Just round the corner from the top of this picture lies York Street where Sheppy's Turkish Baths were situated. According to a report in the Bath Herald, also published on 25 October,

the flood worked great destruction. The height of water was four feet above the level of the baths, and covered the steps leading to the cooling room. The upholstery on the lower floor is saturated, and many articles of furniture, including orname ntal pillars and busts, are over turned and lying in the utmost confusion. A bust of Captain Speke, the explorer, has been altogether dissolved. The suite of rooms will have to be refurnished, and Mr Sheppy has posted a notice stating that he will not be able to re open the baths for one month. He estimates the loss at 150.

The flood left Bartholomew's recently opened Turkish baths completely untouched, situated as they were right at the top of Milsom Street.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Bartholomew's Turkish Baths: George Street: Bath

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988